25. WOUND ROTOR (OR SLIP RING) JNDUCTION MOTORS-ADVANTAGES, DISADVANTAGES AND APPLICATIONS
- High starting torque.
- High over-load capacity.
- Nearly constant speed.
- Low starting current (in comparison with squirrel cage motor).
- Low power factor at light loads.
- Lower efficiency and lower power factor (in comparison to squirrel cage motor).
- Sensitivity to fluctuations in supply voltage.
- Higher initial and maintenance costs.
- Speed regulation is poor when operated with external resistances in the rotor circuit.
Applications. Suitable for most industrial drives of high power where high starting torque is required such as for driving:
- Line shafts
- Winding machines
- Mills etc.