- Can be used both in D.C. as well as in A.C. circuits.
- Robust and simple in construction.
- Possess high operating torque.
- Can withstand overload momentarily.
- Since the stationary parts and the moving parts of the instrument are simple so they are cheapest.
- Suitable for low frequency and high power circuits.
- Capable of giving an accuracy within limits of both precision and industrial grades.
- Scales not uniform.
- For low voltage range the power consumption is higher.
- The errors are caused due to hysteresis in the iron of the operating system and due to stray magnetic field.
- In case of A.C. measurements, change in frequency causes serious error.
- With the increase in temperature the stiffness of the spring decreases.