Advantages: The stepper motor (a position control device) entails the following advantages:
- Compatibility with digital systems.
- The angular displacement can be precisely controlled without any feedback arrangement.
- No sensors are needed for position and speed sensing.
- It can be readily interfaced with microprocessor (or computer based controller).
Applications: Stepper motors have a wide range of applications, mentioned below:
- Paper feed motors in typewriters and printers.
- Positioning of print heads.
- Pens in XY-plotters.
- Recording heads in computer disc drives.
- Positioning of workables and tools in numerically controlled machining equipment.
- Also employed to perform many other functions such as metering, mixing, cutting, blending, stirring etc. in several commercial, military and medical applications.